You bite down on pure bliss only to find a big dose of dental pain waiting for you. What do you do when you have a holiday dental emergency? We’ve put together some tips and tricks to tide you over until you can get in to see the dentist, but don’t put off treatment too long.
Whether you live in the Pleasanton area or you’re here visiting for the holidays, at Gateway Dental Care, we can provide the urgent treatments you need, so you can get back to enjoying your festivities.
Common Dental Emergencies
There you are, enjoying your holiday celebrations, and suddenly you’re hit with tooth pain. Or, a little rough and tumble play ends up in a chipped or knocked-out tooth. Several issues can pop up quickly and unexpectedly, leading to a dental emergency.
- A Tooth Gets Knocked Out
- An Infection Or Abscess Starts Causing Tooth Pain
- A Filling Falls Out
- A Crown Comes Off
- You Find A Loose Or Cracked Adult Tooth
6 Temporary Solutions For Holiday Tooth Troubles
Holiday get-togethers usually involve plenty of food. Anything from nuts to hard candies to popcorn to super sticky sweets can end up causing you tooth troubles. There’s nothing like that dreaded crunch or shooting pain as you bite down to put a damper on the day.
Tickle fights, tag, and general roughhousing can also lead to accidents that need attention right away.
- You’ve Lost A Filling: Make an emergency dental appointment as soon as possible to get it replaced. Beeswax or orthodontic wax can temporarily cover the missing filling until you see us. This will help keep food and bacteria out of the hole and helps to decrease sensitivity.
- You’re Missing A Crown: Try to find it and carefully rinse it with water. Rinse your tooth with water, and then let both dry. Put a small amount of toothpaste inside the crown and place it over your tooth. This will help to hold it in place until you can get in for an emergency dental appointment.
- You Crack Or Chip A Tooth: Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply dental wax to any sharp areas. Take over-the-counter pain relievers and apply a cold compress to reduce any pain or swelling you may be experiencing. If you broke your tooth, bring the missing piece with you if you can find it.
- You Have A Loose Adult Tooth: Carefully rinse your mouth with warm water. Take your usual over-the-counter pain medication and use a cold compress to manage pain and discomfort while you wait for your appointment.
- You’ve Lost An Adult Tooth: Try to find the missing tooth, rinse it off, and place it in a cup of milk, saline solution, or water. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water and call for an emergency appointment right away. The sooner we see you, the better your chances of saving the tooth.
- You Wake Up With A Toothache: If you notice pimple-like bumps on your gums or have cheek swelling, you likely have a dental infection or abscess. This type of infection can spread to other areas of the body, becoming quite serious so call for an appointment right away.
Don’t Let Holiday Dental Emergencies Spoil Your Festivities
At Gateway Dental Care in Pleasanton, CA, we offer emergency dental appointments 24/7, even during the holidays. We understand that some dental issues are urgent but may not happen at the most convenient time, especially during the holidays. We provide prompt care and fast relief so you can get back to enjoying your holiday season. Contact us right away for your dental emergency needs.